Dr. Therese Ward
Dr. Therese Ward
Dr. Therese Ward
Clinical Psychologist – Psychotherapist
Dr. Therese Ward is a Clinical Psychologist working in Dubai. She provides short and long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy and assessments for Adults. She has more than twenty years of experience in alleviating psychological pain and assessing personalities through projective techniques (Rorschach and Thematic Apperception Test). Dr. WARD is also specialised in Couples Therapy. She helps couples untangle their interpersonal struggles in order for them to evolve towards more peace and serenity.
Short and long-term psychotherapy and assessment for Couples and Adults.
I am a Lebanese Doctoral-level Clinical Psychologist / Psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience. I am specialized in working with Couples and Adults (Individual therapy) facing various difficulties.
Services offered in French, English and Arabic.
I am a DHA licensed Clinical Psychologist. I also hold a license issued by the Lebanese Ministry of Health (MOH). I earned my High Studies Diploma (DEA) in Clinical Psychology from the Lebanese University in 2005. I then completed my Ph.D in Clinical Psychology in 2011 from the Sorbonne Paris Nord University in France. In 2018, I obtained an Art Therapy Diploma from the Paris 7 University in France. I also completed an intensive training in Personality Assessment (Rorschach and Thematic Apperception Test) at the Saint-Joseph University in Beirut.
For 21 years, I was a lecturer in several universities while supervising around 160 students per year. I also provided them with an intensive training in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Clinical Psychology and Personality Assessments.
My work mainly consists on assessing patient’s difficulties and providing them with a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy approach. My expertise covers all types of intrapersonal and interpersonal issues. I am also specialized in Couples Therapy: Analytical Couples Therapy allows each partner to untie certain pathogenic knots of their bond through analysing their unconscious processes in order to allow the couple to evolve towards a healthier and more mature relationship together.
The therapy I provide runs in a confidential, safe, neutral and non-judgemental atmosphere.
I am a Psychodynamic Psychoanalytic psychotherapist with expertise in human internal conflicts and psychological pain. The Psychoanalytic approach is based on the verbal interpretation of the patient’s words and dreams. It aims at clarifying a patient’s behaviour and affects in order to ease the patient’s internal conflicts.
The ultimate goal of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy is to achieve psychological healing and wellness by aligning more conscious and unconscious aspects of the personality. My approach also aims at helping a patient gain more freedom and control over his/her life. The unconscious is the hidden part of our psychological apparatus, the part we are unaware of but that controls our lives and generates conflicts and pain within ourselves.
My approach mainly uses:
- Free association: This is a technique in which a patient begins the session by saying the first idea that comes into his/her mind without selection or control. The first idea will then lead to other ideas by a chain of association. This technique can help reveal the unconscious thoughts and feelings that influence a person’s behaviour.
- Dream analysis:One of the most important means of achieving more insight is through the interpretation of dreams: it provides unconscious materials to work with in therapy.
- Art: Art is another way to gain a greater access to the unconscious through the exploration of the various images that arise. Through artistic projections, we can learn about our self-image and what symbols and themes emerge when concentrating on a particular issue.
A Couples’ difficulties are addressed not only in terms of the current interactions between the partners but also from the point of view of an individual unconscious.
Each partner’s unconscious issues can complicate a couple’s relationship. In fact, each partner’s history, particularly his/her relationship with his/her family of origins (childhood, relation with the parents, etc.) can greatly affect the quality of the couple’s relationship. A Couple is a dynamic organization with its own progressions and regressions.
- Sexual Abuse
- Grief, loss and separation
- Intrapersonal difficulties
- Identity issues
- Anger issues
- Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Trauma Related Disorders
- Sexual orientation
- D.E.A. of Psychology from the Lebanese University in 2005.
- Diploma in Art Therapy from the Paris 7 University in 2018
- Ph. D (Doctorate of Psychology) from the Sorbonne University, Paris-Nord in 2011.
- I am licensed by the Lebanese Ministry of Health (MOH) since 2018 as well as by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) since 2022.
- I abide by the rules and regulations guiding the ethical practice set out by these two respective psychological organizations.
- I am also a member of The Middle East Psychological Association (MEPA) since 2011, Le Réseau Européen des Épreuves Projectives since 2007, the Rorschach Society (Beirut, Lebanon) since 2007 as well as The Lebanese Psychological Association (LPA) since 2007.
- WARD T. 2006, Les Messages Véhiculés par les Prénoms des prisonniers politiques, in La Psychothérapie Aujourd’hui, Beirut, Society of Practitioners in Psychotherapy and Consultants (SPC), New Printing Press, Volume 4.
- WARD T. 2009, Le deuil chez les mères libanaises ayant des enfants disparus pendant les guerres du Liban, Beirut, Society of Practitioners in Psychotherapy and Consultants (SPC), New Printing Press, Volume 5.
- WARD T. 2011, Deuil possible, Deuil impossible, Psy-Echo, Annales de psychologie, Beyrouth, USJ, Volume 27, 2011.
- WARD T. 2012, Le Deuil à l’aune des épreuves projectives, Psy-Echo, Annales de psychologie, Beyrouth, USJ, Volume 28, 2012.
- WARD T. 2015, The Technique of the Early Role Play, exercise against intra/extra school violence. Intervention in the Seminar on approaches to improve Mental Health and psychological support for children at risk under armed conflicts, Seoul, Cyber University of Seoul.
- WARD T. Deuil et destructuration du Moi. Intervention at the First Arab conference by the Lebanese Psychological Association. Beirut, October 2015.
- WARD T. Le corps perdu à l’aune de l’amour aliénant. Intervention at the Fourth Congress of the Réseau international des Méthodes Projectives et Psychanalyse, Lyon, France, April 2016.
- WARD T. La limite à l’aune des productions artistiques de Gibran Khalil Gibran, peintre et ecrivain libanais. Intervention at the fifth congress of the Réseau international des Méthodes Projectives et Psychanalyse, University of Bresilia, April 2019.